3D Printing by FDM Technology
Extremely advanced and progressive technology of prototype parts production. It is especially suitable for the production of individual parts and it´s also possible to produce non-demountable movable connections of two parts. The parts are created directly from the delivered 3D models which are prepared for 3D printing by our engineers. The printing of parts takes, depending on their size and complexity, from several to dozens of hours. Up to 80% costs on prototype parts production can be saved by 3D printing using the FDM method. The amount saved depends on the size and shape of parts and also on the type of original production technology.
Examples of 3D Printing
Holder of Pitot-static Tube
A functional prototype part installed on the airplane for the purpose of verification during flight tests. A critical part with regard to rigidity and accuracy.
Air Outlet Grill
The outlet grill was installed on the aircraft during flight tests of engine cooling system. Outlet grill dimensions: about 350 x 230 mm.
FDM Technology is Especially Suitable
- For production of functional prototypes of plastic parts with mechanical properties close to real pressed parts.
- For parts which will find their application for production of mock-ups and visual samples.
Possibilities and Advantages of FDM Technology
- This technology enables the production of practically any shape, including functional non-demountable assemblies and also the production of mechanisms parts thereof
- Fast creation of parts from the delivered 3D models – you will obtain a functional part within hours or days at the latest (depending on complexity and size of a part).
- The materials used for the production of parts by the FDM method are ABS plus, ABS-M30, PC (thermoplastic polycarbonate) and ULTEM 9085.
- FDM is advanced and promising technology. We shall gladly provide you with more information during your visit at Evektor. We can also show you real parts produced by this technology.
Technical Parameters of Parts Produced by FDM Technology in Evektor
- Maximum dimensions of parts are 914 x 609 x 914 mm. Larger parts can be produced from smaller parts by adhesive bonding. The accuracy and strength of bonded parts is very high.
We Accept Data in the Following 3D Formats
- Catia V5, Catia V4, Pro/ENGINEER (Creo), STEP, IGES, VDA and STL (with sufficient accuracy).
Specification of the Used Materials
- Stable – no visible deformation, shrinkage or absorption of humidity
- By 40% stronger than standard ABS
- ABS plus specification downloadable (PDF)
- By 5 – 70% stronger than standard ABS
- Higher tensile strength, impact resistance and bending strength
- Strength of connection of individual layers is significantly higher - longer service life of parts
- Multipurpose material: suitable for production of functional parts
- ABS-M30 specification downloadable (PDF)
- The most widespread industrial thermoplastic material
- Accurate durable and stable – suitable for load carrying part
- Excellent mechanical properties and thermal endurance
- High tensile strength even for higher temperatures
- PC material specification downloadable (PDF)
Termoplastic ULTEM 9085
- Certified thermoplastic of ST class (flame, smoke, toxicity)
- Chemically resistant and resistant to high temperatures
- Ideal for use in transport means, such as cars, aircraft, buses, trains, ships, etc.
- ULTEM 9085 specification (PDF)
Mechanical Properties of Resulting Product from ABS plus Material
Values were determined by test that defined the minimum theoretical strength. The maximum strength was reached in the defined cross-section. This strength isn’t maximum strength of material which is by up to 40% higher than that of standard ABS. The maximum strength would be reached in a thinner cross-section where fibers would be put in layers in the loading direction only. Owing to the fact that most profile parts (pressed parts) are of a general shape and the direction of fiber is variable in individual sections and lower thickness of the wall is applied, the strength of a real pressed part will be more likely in the upper half of the strength range determined by tests.
|Tensile strength||Bending strength|
|Test standard||ČSN EN ISO 527-2||ČSN EN ISO 178|
|Test articles||Profile 10 x 4 mm||Profile 10 x 4 mm, Struts 64 mm|
|Cut out from plate||26.1 MPa||48.7 MPa|
|FDM lengthwise**||27.0 MPa||55.5 MPa|
|FDM in layers***||17.4 MPa||28.9 MPa|
|Strength of model made by FDM is, in comparison with standard ABS, in the following range:|
|In tension||60% - 114% (140%)|
|In bending||67% - 103% (140%)|
|Thermal endurance||82°C (without loading up to 96°C)|
|The model is set to position for printing with regard to:||1. Required strength
2. Required quality of surface
3. Time of printing and model price
** In fiber direction
*** In direction of separation of individual layers